Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Get Your Golf Game Back

The other day I took my wife to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls. It was an early Thursday afternoon, so we had the place pretty much to ourselves. As we are enjoying the conversation between swings, I hear a strange "VOOM, VOOOM, VOOM" sound. I turn to see a fellow swinging a hollow red plastic tube. Apparently this is some kind of warm-up tool. We finished our bucket and I decided to stick around and watch the other golfers take their hacks. And hack they did.

While I am certainly not a professional golfer, I have spent considerable time and training in evaluating the golf swing and identifying what is physically wrong. I was amazed at the number of swing faults, posture problems and resultant big sweeping slices. The guy who had the red plastic tube, while adequately warmed-up, still had rounded shoulders, bent at the waist and hit every shot to the right with a very nice sweeping slice to really push the ball even further to the right. Of course, I'm now imagining he has a whole closet full of "Training Aids" much like Renee Russo had in the movie Tin Cup.

Let me give you one piece of advice--Skip the training aids! As Paul Callaway, P.T. (first physical therapist on the PGA Tour) said, "The most important piece of equipment is your body."

Just by getting this guy to address the ball with a straight spine angle, bend at the hips (not the waist), his shots would have been a lot straighter.

As a Certified Golf Fitness Professional, I offer physical training programs to take 5-9 strokes off of your game in as little as 6 weeks. If you are interested in the Golf Doctor Programs, give me a call a the office (920) 730-0611. Mention you read this on my blog, and receive the initial swing evaluation for free (regular $145.00 value).

Enjoy the rest of the golf season! And if your game is not what you expected, give me a call.

Please feel free to leave a comment below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is no coincidence that the finest athletes in the world choose chiropractic. They know something that many others still don't... chiropractic works!