Sunday, August 24, 2008

63 Impala


I bought this car in 1980 as a Junior in high school for $250. Spent the next summer scrounging the local junk yard for parts, cleaning and fixing as much as I could. Had it painted just before senior pictures. That's me and my future wife in the picture. Being a North Dakota car, it was rust free (too cold to use salt on the roads). So, when I moved to Minneapolis to attend chiropractic college, I put her (the car, not my wife) into storage for teh next 5 years. Of couse not driving it for 5 years, seals dried up, mice ate up the interior, and it was time for a complete restoration.


Moving the car to Wisconsin went well, and the dismantling process began. Then came children 2,3, and 4, starting a business and life in general. this put the Impala project on hold. I did have time to customize an '86 Suburan (lowered suspension, engine, tranny, exhaust upgrades, shaved trim, mag wheels, phantom grille, roll pan with relocated tail lights, killer stereo, etc...). I could take cloverleafs posted at 35 doing 60 without a problem, and if I hit the accerator just right, I could chirp the tires when it shifted into 2nd gear. Put over 100,000 miles on it after I fixed it up with many family vacations. Due to rust and gas prices (12mpg, 40 gal tank), I had to junk it.


Now as the kids are getting older, the Impala will begin its restoration very soon. I'd love to take it back to a high school class reunion.

No comments: